We are seeking applicants for positions within our Clinical Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship which focuses on achieving advanced clinical and professional knowledge and skills relevant to independent practice in clinical psychology as well as advanced training within one of the following emphasis areas: 1) Integrated Care and Behavioral Medicine, 2) Medical Rehabilitation Psychology, 5) Neuropsychology, 4) Primary Care and Health Psychology and 5) PTSD and Substance Abuse.
The fellowship program emphasizes development of competencies in the following core areas: 1) assessment, 2) psychotherapy and intervention, 3) consultation, 4) program development and evaluation, 5) supervision, 6) teaching, 7) strategies of scholarly inquiry and clinical problem solving (including opportunities for research), 8) organization, management and administration as relevant to clinical psychology, 9) professional, ethical and legal conduct and 10) awareness of issues of cultural and individual diversity in the above-related areas.
Training Setting: Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital is
• located in suburban Chicago 12 miles West of downtown Chicago, on a 147 acre campus
• one of the largest and most diversified medical and surgical hospitals in the Department of Veterans Affairs system.
• a tertiary referral center with many specialty services, including some that serve a large U.S. regional area
• institutionally affiliated with Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine
Training Staff: The Psychology Service
• is one of several departments in the hospital’s Mental Health Service Line
• is comprised of 36 doctoral-level psychologists and one program assistant
• represents a broad range of expertise, background and experience, with staff having professional assignments throughout the hospital
• staff are involved in the postdoctoral training program as either primary or secondary supervisors
• has supervisors that hold faculty appointments at universities in the Chicago area and are active in funded research endeavors
Training Philosophy: The Psychology Service at Hines
• embraces a generalist training tradition
• provides training that encompasses the breadth and depth of the knowledge and skill set required for generalist independent professional psychology practice as well as development of advanced knowledge and skills in working with specific high priority VA populations.
• offers rotations across a range of clinical settings to optimize the skill set required for independent practice
Start Date: 8/27/2012 Length of Program: One year
Stipend and Benefits: $46,287; 13 days vacation leave and 13 days available sick leave, in addition to the 10 annual federal holidays. Health and life insurance is available.
About Chicago: Chicago is the largest Midwestern city and the third most populous in the country, with approximately 9.5 million residents in the metro area. Chicago is a vibrant world-class metropolis known for superior and numerous attractions and cultural institutions that retains a very friendly and comfortable Midwestern character. Chicago is also rich in demographic diversity, with many distinct neighborhoods and communities.
1. U.S. citizenship
2. Completed all requirements of an APA-accredited doctoral program in clinical or counseling psychology
3. Completed an APA-accredited internship in clinical or counseling psychology prior to entering into the program. Applications are accepted from applicants who are currently in the process of completing these requirements.
1. A cover letter that includes in detail the following elements:
a. Previous clinical, educational and research experience in both our generalist training objectives as well as
in Special Emphasis track to which you applied
b. A description of your career goals and the way in which the Fellowship will advance them
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Official transcripts from graduate school (including awarding date of doctoral degree)
4. Three or four letters of recommendation
5. A letter from your psychology internship director discussing progress on internship and anticipated completion date
6. A completed Hines VA Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program Application (available online)
We try to ensure that our class is characterized by cultural and individual diversity as well as geographic and theoretical diversity. We strongly believe that a mix of students from various universities and demographic backgrounds makes for a rich training experience.
The deadline for completed applications is 1/10/2012.
Interviews will take place in late January and February 2012.
Our Program will offer interviews at Hines and at INS for applicants applying to the Neuropsychology Emphasis.
Please send completed materials and inquiries to:
Bernard J. Sladen, Ph.D.
Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Psychology Training Programs
Psychology Service (116B)
5000 S. Fifth Avenue
Building 228, Room 3021
Hines, IL 60141-3030
Telephone: (708)202-2444 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org