The Laboratory for the Treatment of Suicide-Related Ideation and Behavior at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Medical and Clinical Psychology, in Bethesda, Maryland is seeking applicants for a full-time Postdoctoral Fellow position. The fellowship is most suitable for candidates with an interest in gaining expertise in clinical trials methodology, military suicide prevention, cognitive behavior therapy, and psychotherapy research. Primary job function will involve dissemination of cognitive behavior therapy to suicidal military personnel within an inpatient psychiatric setting, in the context of a multi-site randomized clinical trial (RCT). Travel to two study implementation sites, the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (Bethesda, Maryland) and the Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital (Ft. Belvoir, Virginia) will be expected. Evening and weekend hours as well as a flexible schedule are required for this position. Preferred schedule (40 hours/week):Wednesday (10am-8pm [10 hours]); Thursday (10am-8pm [10 hours]); Friday (10am-8pm [10 hours]); Saturday (Flexible, [5 hours]); Sunday(Flexible [5 hours]).
75% Clinical Research
- Under the direct supervision of study PI and Clinical Coordinator, performs psychological assessments (using both self-report and clinician-administered instruments) at two different military inpatient psychiatric settings.
- Problem solves research-related issues, assists with the correct usage of the risk management protocol, and maintains communication between research team and inpatient treatment staff.
- Provides face-to-face manualized psychological care (cognitive behavior therapy) to psychiatric inpatients admitted for suicide ideation and/or a recent suicide attempt.
- Provides evening and weekend assessment and therapy coverage for the research team; travels between the Walter Reed National Military Center (Bethesda, Maryland) and the Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital (Ft. Belvoir, Virginia) sites to assist with study recruitment and implementation.
- Assists with the transcription of psychotherapy sessions as needed.
- Participates in individual and group supervision. Shares audiotaped therapy sessions for the purposes of treatment development, refinement, and integrity checks.
- Attends trainings on military mental health, suicide risk assessment, management, and treatment, as well as psychotherapy outcome research.
- Contributes to the preparation of scholarly presentations and publications.
We are interested in applicants who have earned a Ph.D., Psy.D., or equivalent in Clinical and/or Counseling Psychology, Social Work, or related field and have had previous training in cognitive behavior therapy. All interested applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and two letters of recommendation to Dr. Marjan Holloway at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.