The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine
Job IDs: 208175 and 208174
JOB SUMMARY: HJF is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support the Laboratory for the Treatment of Suicide-Related Ideation and Behavior at the Department of Medical and Clinical Psychology (MPS) at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MPS.
Primary responsibilities will involve dissemination of clinical care in the context of randomized clinical trials (RCTs) to suicidal military personnel within an inpatient psychiatric setting: (1) consenting study participants and administering psychological assessment batteries; (2) providing manualized psychological interventions (i.e., Safety Planning as well as Cognitive Behavior Therapy) for the prevention of suicide; (3) participating in individual and group supervision; and (4) performing other study related tasks.
- Under the direct supervision of study PI and Clinical Coordinators, consents study participants and performs psychological assessments (including both self-report and clinical administered instruments) at two different military inpatient psychiatric settings.
- Problem solves research-related issues, assists with the correct usage of the risk management protocol, and maintains communication between research team and inpatient treatment staff.
- Provides direct manualized psychological care (safety planning and/or cognitive behavior therapy) to inpatients admitted for suicide ideation and/or a recent suicide attempt.
- Participates in individual and group supervision. Shares audiotaped therapy sessions for the purposes of treatment development, refinement, and integrity checks.
- Provides evening and weekend assessment and therapy coverage; travels between the Walter Reed National Military Center (Bethesda, Maryland) and the Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital (Ft. Belvoir, Virginia) sites to assist with study recruitment and implementation.
- Assists with the transcription of psychotherapy sessions as needed.
- Performs data entry as needed.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology, Social Work, Counseling Psychology, or Related Scientific Discipline
Minimum Experience: No postdoctoral experience required; directly related research and/or clinical experience is preferred
Physical Capabilities: Frequent travel to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (Bethesda, Maryland) and the Ft. Belvoir Community Hospital (Ft. Belvoir, Virginia) will be expected.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Supervises junior staff
Work Environment: Laboratory for Suicide Prevention; Inpatient Psychiatric Setting
Other Requirements: Evening and weekend hours as well as a flexible schedule are required for this position. Preferred schedule (27 hours/week): Three consecutive weekdays (1pm-8pm [7 hours]); Saturday and Sunday (Flexible, [5 hours]). Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Vice President of Human Resources
Those interested in applying can send a CV, cover letter, and two letters of recommendation to the link provided or to Christina Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org